Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Crochet Snood Pattern, and the Travails of its creation, and a little on Medieval Hairstyles

       

            Crochet snood pattern, free, originally intended for historical use
Crochet pattern, snood, medieval costume accessories, medieval snood, historical cosplay

 [The following is my massive backstory, which may be entertaining, but if you slide past it, I will certainly not be offended.  I just feel like typing.]

     You would think it would be easier to find a crochet snood pattern on the internet.  Snoods are basically perfect for the medium.  They are screaming to be crocheted, and thus it is possible to find patterns, from those that call for stretchy yarn, to the vintage models, which force us to improve our crochet term repertoire.  There were also a distressing number of patterns for something from a Wednesday Addams show that from what I can tell were more like cowls and no use to me.  Yet none of these for various reasons quite worked, and so in an attempt to follow various different patterns, I was forced to improvise, and a new pattern rushed onto the scene.  I tried one which failed, probably because I used the wrong yarn, or because I have too much hair, and I started the classic Perky Snood from the 1940s which you will find if you try searching patterns, but I was confused by the fact that it didn't seem to be worked in round.  Referring to it for sizing, and using this (Not My Nana's Crochet!: Crochet Lacy Hair Net Snood (bebrightblog.blogspot.com)) as another reference, but altering the increase because I didn't understand it, and altering the ending to fit onto my head, I came up with something that suited my needs, and since there is a dearth of free snood patterns that made sense to me, I thought it my duty to put forth the following.  If I continue experimenting, I may come up with better.  I particularly like the idea of a diamond pattern.

    But, why, rambling woman on the internet, why must you have a snood?  Speak, for your every word is a pearl of wisdom totally unhindered by veiled sarcasm.

    This summer, my sister, a friend, and my mother all went in to help me make something vaguely realistic to wear as a medieval kirtle and chemise, which I have delighted in, but have been wearing with shamefully modern loose hair with bangs.  Though styles, trends, and modesty standards varied throughout the middle ages, it seemed more appropriate that I wear a proper veil and wimple or gorget, but my attempts to make something of the sort were thwarted by my lack of sewing skills and, not being Olivia de Haviland, simple inability to wear that kind of head covering well.  There are other forms of medieval headwear, however, but they seemed even more complicated for my skills, until I thought of what is today called the snood.

    Similar hairnets were worn in the middle ages, and I have always wanted a snood ever since the day a childhood friend came over wearing one.  They are simply fetching, and have an old-fashioned womanly look that connects to many different centuries, except our own.  The patterns from the 1940s can attest that our grandmothers wore them, and that they were at times a fashionable accessory.  

    In creating a costume I have tried to lean toward what is historically realistic, but only to a point which is realistic for me with my resources.  I am still aware that my dress is a sheet and a tablecloth.  That said, at least now I can wear my hair in a way that suits me, and the making of falls into my skill area, and doesn't leave me quite so shocking to those around me next time I accidentally wander into a time tunnel.  I don't want to be taken for some kind of hussy.  Still, I realize my style may be varied over multiple centuries, but at least I have a start.


Image of a Crespinette I snitched from this site10 | October | 2012 | Maniacal Medievalist (wordpress.com) 



Pattern

This pattern uses a magic circle, which is a substitute for working multiple stitches into a single chain as is often used when beginning a round.  Here is a tutorial.





I had to relearn the treble crochet stitch, so here is another tutorial in case it is helpful.  It came from Howsanne Handmade Crochet : Crochet Stitches







Uses US terms

I used probably a sport weight or sock yarn.

Size H hook


Row 1: Work 7 ch into magic circle, repeat *1tr, ch 2* seven times total Join using sl st.

Row 2: Chain 7, repeat *skip chain space, 1 tr in next tr, ch 2, skip ch space* around. Join

Row 3: Chain 7, repeat *skip chain space, tr in next tr, ch 2, tr in same stitch, ch 2* around. (you are doubling every tr and ch pattern) Join.

Row 4: Repeat row 2

Row 5: Chain 7, repeat *skip chain, tr in next tr, ch 2, skip chain space, tr in next tr, ch 2, tr in same stitch, ch 2* around (you are doubling every other stitch to increase following the net pattern) Join.

Rows 6-16: Chain 7, repeat *skip chain, tr in next tr, ch 2, skip ch space* around. Join.

Row 17: Ch 3, hdc in each st around, including ch, join

Row 18: Ch 2 Sc in each st around, join

Row 19: Ch 2, *Sc 4 times, decrease in next st* around.  Fill remaining stitches with sc. Join.

Row 20, Ch 2, sc around, join. 

Fasten off, weave in ends.

If the snood doesn't stay on easily against the weight of your hair, you might try a couple of clips to make it a little more secure.

Crochet Snood Pattern free, historical headwear, medieval snood, costume accessories, historical cosplay
I plan to try the pattern to double check all the stitches on a second snood.  If mistakes are found, I will update the posted pattern

 

Crochet pattern, snood

                    


crochet snood, free pattern

It gives me delight to see it in the mirror, hoping to borrow a graceful womanliness that our foremothers knew, but our hurried and changed age at times robs from us.



Update:
If you prefer a drawstring or elastic band, and a beautiful design, I finally found this pattern for free which I worked up and appreciated the ability to sinch it, as well as the lovely design. I did not need a ravelry account to access it.  https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-snood

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, and it looks great on you. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Antero Reservoir, Badger Basin, and Fairplay Colorado

     If you drive into the Mountains of Colorado, past the high-walled valleys where Idaho Springs stretches along the wandering valley flo...